19.04.05

Open Source Survey Tool (Java)

Due to my job at Jato Consulting I am currently looking at survey tools. We need a highly customizable solution (LDAP integration, access to our own role based security system, integration with existing data basis, ...) of a survey tool and I was wondering if there are any solutions out there.
It has to be Java based since all the above mentioned integration parts are in the J2EE world.
So far I found four survey tools, which are OpenSource and written in Java:

• ePoll provided by Jcorporate and based on their famous Expresso Framework which I already worked with.
    Still it seams a bit heavy to use the Expresso Framework merely to have some Survey/Polling features.
  • SurveyTool is hosted at java.net, but not a lot of information is available at their site and I do not like the idea of having to use a full blown app server to run a survey.
  • JSP Survey Library hosted at SourceForge, but with no real release yet, only CVS access. But looks from the screenshots promising. Maybe I will give this one a try. And Carnegie Mellon University sounds like a good background for a project.
  • VTSurvey comes from another university (Virgina Tech) and is also hosted at SourceForge. From the release number (2.2.3) it sounds pretty stable. But what made me hesitate is the fact that it stores the data into XML on the filesystem. I definitely prefer a DB solution for persistence of the survey data.

Who has got experience with any of these tools?
    Can anyone suggest another open source survey tool written in java?

PS: if you post a comment, please be aware of the fact, that all comments with a ".com" in it get denied by my spam blocker. It is sad, but I had a lot of comment spam and with this I reduced it totally.

Posted by Karsten at 19.04.05 11:09 | TrackBack
  • Comments

hi karsten,

i too am looking for an asp based online student course survey . did you get any response to your query and if you could post the follow up i would really appreciate it.

regards,

ap.

Posted by: pandey at 13.05.05 21:29

hi karsten,

regards,

ap.

Posted by: pandey at 13.05.05 21:29

hi karsten,

regards,

ap.

Posted by: pandey at 13.05.05 21:29

Did you finally pick one up?

Thanks!

Posted by: Alex Wallace at 20.07.05 18:02

I have been using the VTSurvey software for about two years now and it's very very good, I take 5 minutes to show my Staff/Students how it works, make an account for them, email them a URL and off they go, rarely do they need to come back and ask me questions, the biggest selling poing (apart from being free!) is that it saves me soooo much time!!

Dee McKee
    Webmaster
    sgul.ac.uk

Posted by: Derek McKee at 16.03.06 10:54

Thanks for the reply.
    We finally decided to do our own survey tool, since we had very specific requirements.
    So there is no winner for me so far.

Posted by: Karsten Voges at 16.03.06 13:15

Supposably you didn't publish it under Open Source, did you? :-)

Because I have the same problem as you (had) and I'm not realy happy with the available open source implementations...

björn