03.12.04

Best bug tracker?

What kind of bugtracker do you use in your project?
At Skex/MojoKnows we used Bugzilla and I was very happy with it. The reporting functionality and the integration with CVSMail was great. And I miss it already.
Now at Jato Consulting they had
Mantis, a PHP solution, which looks a bit fancier but lacks some functionality like sendmail integration, CVS integration, etc.
But it might be nicer for clients to report bugs.
And since all the opensource projects can use it, I got a bit in contact with JIRA from Atlassian. I must admit that after getting used to bugzilla that much it is different to use JIRA and I like buzilla better merely for the reason of lazyness.
Do I miss any other good bugtracker?
What are your experiences? What do you prefer/like/dislike?
I already ordered a vserver to play a bit around on a machine with bugtrackers.

Posted by Karsten at 03.12.04 14:35 | TrackBack
Comments

I've also run Mantis. A PHP solution is easy to customize, and Mantis is colorful, and we all know that "client" love colors ;-)

I'm now evaluating iTracker, well integrated in Eclipse but also missing integration with CVS.

Posted by: Francois at 03.12.04 15:47

Ok - I'm severly biased - but JIRA is better than Bugzilla in _so_ many ways! :)

CVS integration, new SVN integration, custom workflows, fields, an interface that normal users can use, email notifications, saved filters, subscribable filters, RSS feeds, portlets, plugin system, complex permissioning and security, plugins for IDEA and Eclipse, RPC interfaces (SOAP and XML-RPC), two way email integration, Excel integration - all in a package that's a pleasure to use and look at every day.

Oh, and we've got a full Bugzilla importer built in if you want to just see what your data looks like in JIRA.

I'm sure there's plenty more I've forgotten - good luck with your evaluations :)

Cheers,
Mike

Posted by: Mike Cannon-Brookes at 04.12.04 01:09

Well... All I can say is that JIRA wins hands down on every level. It's damn easy to use for both developers and 'plain users', the support is excellent, there are a lot of plugins - and you can choose the version (standard, professional, enterprise) that suits your needs.

In a 'commercial' company there's really no excuse *not* to use JIRA.

Bugzilla has pretty much the same features, but is pretty much unusable in practice (bad GUI, weird configuration).

Posted by: Anders Engström at 04.12.04 03:04

Here's a survey I've done on

"What is your favorite bug tracking tool".

Hope it gives you some ideas

Carlos

Posted by: Carlos E. Perez at 04.12.04 12:24

Hey Mike,
u r well know to be biased in this question ;) Nice to see u around my blog.
So it looks like I have to look a bit deeper at JIRA.
What I did not liked about JIRA, which I got in contact with at Spring Live from Sourcebeat http://jira.sourcebeat.com/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10000
was that I am not forwarded to a general filter page with the filter link in the top, including all the nice filters like:
Preset Filters
- ALL
- Outstanding
- Unscheduled
- Assigned to me
- Reported by me
- Resolved recently
- Added recently
- Updated recently
- Most important

This is non intuitive. Why do I have to save them all to be included in the filters?
And I missed the MyBugs link (as in bugzilla) to reported AND assigned bugs(or issues;)) on everypage. But I guess that is just an issue of configuration.
I guess I might download an evaluation of JIRA soon.
Any further comments? Helps?

Posted by: Karsten Voges at 05.12.04 13:27

Carlos,
thx for the link. I had a look at it already. Thx to the search function at http://www.javablogs.com I came across it.
But I missed the rational, why people like a certain tool compared to a different one.
And whenever I read about JIRA it gets compared to bugzilla. So I guess that bugzilla is the biggest competitor and must the best free one, if the best comercial one only sees bugzilla as a competitor.
Thx for your comments. Well apreciated.

Posted by: Karsten Voges at 05.12.04 13:31